Tuesday, March 1, 2011

What does citizenship mean to you and what role does your council and chapter play in that understanding?

I believe that citizenship is being an active member in your community and being a positive member of society.  A good citizen helps their community and is aware of the problems that exist in the community.  I believe that my chapter plays an active role with me being a citizen and being active in the community because of the various types of community service that we complete.  It also helps me keep in touch with the community and remain aware of their problems and concerns.  I do not think that my council help me be a good citizen.  I do not think that the NPHC as a whole does any form of community service.  Granted, all of the organizations within the council do some form of community service on their own, it is never as a community.  As far as my actual understanding of what citizenship is, I do not think that either my organization or council helped me develop.  I think that my idea of citizenship developed long before I became Greek or even entered college and it was based more off of how I was raised and the fundamentals that were instilled in me growing up.  I think that my fraternity is simply a way to demonstrate my idea of citizenship, not what cultivated that idea.  Ultimately, I think that being a citizen is being a moral person who stands by their beliefs and always does the right thing despite the adversity that they may face and most importantly exemplifying the high ideals of brotherhood, scholarship, and service.

No comments:

Post a Comment