Sunday, January 23, 2011

What Role does your fraternity or sorority play in your identity? Why are you greek?

I do not think the fraternity directly affects my personal identity.  It affects how other people view me.  Being Greek has made me be more conscientious of my actions because everything I do now is in the spotlight.  It is no longer "Bobby did this.."  but rather "the Sigma Bobby did this."  I do not like this aspect of Greek life because I still believe that I am my own person and that my organisation is not my claim to fame.  Unfortunately, this is how Greeks are viewed in the NPHC in my opinion.  People no longer look at your Individual identity but they view you as the Greek letters that are on your chest.  Although, I love my organization and am proud to wear my letters I would prefer for people to still view me as the original individual I am, and look at my fraternity as my platform to showcase it.  I decided to become Greek because I saw it as a great opportunity.  It would allow me to meet people that I would have never met before and it would provide me with the opportunities to become the leader that I know I can be.  Secondly, I saw Greek Life as a way to get real world experience by interacting with people from all walks of life.  One of the biggest challenges of converting from a college setting to a professional environment is learning how to interact and effectively communicate with people who you would not normally talk to.  Moreover, learning to go out of your comfort zone.  So far I have enjoyed Greek Life, I have met several people who I never would have met otherwise.  Phi Beta Sigma is slowly but surely helping me grow and individual, and hopefully by the time I leave Ohio State I will never have to leave my comfort zone because I will have had a enriched, diverse experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment