Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Who Am I?

My full name is Robert Oscar Rutland III.  I am the product of a single parent house hold and I am a first generation college student.  I am from Grand Island, New York which is a small town in between Buffalo and Niagara Falls.  I have two siblings, an older brother and a younger sister.  My brother attended Syracuse University for his undergraduate degree and Eastman School of Music for his two masters degrees.  My sister is currently a freshman at University at Buffalo where she is pursuing a degree in business.  I am a family oriented person and a Christian.  I am  a second year pursuing a degree in Accounting and would like to earn my M.B.A.  After graduation I would like to work at a Big Four Accounting firm and pass the C.P.A exam.

I became a member of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Inc. in spring quarter of last year.  Being Greek has been a challenging experience that has constantly caused me to push myself and better myself each day. The second part of the assignment was to explain how we would like to change the world.  I am honestly not sure how I would like to change the world at this point in my life but I have decided what I would like to change about Ohio State.  I would like for there to be better relationships between Greeks at OSU.  From my experiences here I have noticed that there are a lot of elitist attitudes about one's organization.  People spend more time trying to boost up their organization by bringing down each other and this is preventing the community from being uplifted.  I would also like for Greeks to be held at even higher standards.  In order for the rest of the population to look up to us as leaders we have to make it clear that we hold ourselves to higher standards and make it apparent that we achieve them.  Lastly, I would like there to be more interaction between Greeks and other non Greek Organisations.  Not only will this help eliminate the elitist image of Greeks but it will also increase the amount of people interested in being Greek.

No comments:

Post a Comment